Thursday, February 3, 2011

Never Let Me Go

So I'm really confused by this book I'm reading. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro is about three kids who live in England and go to a boarding school, apparently called Hailsham. What I've discovered so far is that Kathy is friends with a group of girls, who all revolve around the character of Ruth. She's kind of like the ring leader I guess. And their acquaintance/friend (it hasn't been distinguished thus far) Tommy has anger management issues I guess. He's really good at football (England's soccer) and is all psyched when they're warming up and when it gets around to picking teams, he doesn't even get chosen. So he starts throwing a temper tantrum, which by what Kathy says (she's the narrator) I assume to be a common occurrence. Kathy keeps commenting on how he's going to get his favorite shirt all dirty and when she brings this up with Tommy himself, he becomes even more enraged and yells at her. Later he apologizes, in the midst of another odd common occurence: the children must have checkups and wait in line on the stairs for them. They're checked for health development.
I'm not sure what's going on in the book at this point. I feel like I'm walking around blindfolded. It's discombobulating, but the curiosity is too great for me to stop reading. Let the confusing novel unfold!

No comments:

Post a Comment