Tuesday, February 1, 2011

C'Est La Vie

As the adept advisor to the students of Homestead (Benji of the Benjicast on Facebook) so eloquently put it.....SNOWMAGEDDON '11 is here! That's right everybody, up to 22 inches of snow/sleet/freezing rain is going to effect 22 states starting at 3 pm tonight. Now I am no meteorologist and I will not be studying to become one anytime soon (but as my mom would say "you never know.") but that, ladies and gentleman, seems like it's going to be a DOOZY. In fact the NWS has issued a blizzard warning for our area. Ah well, c'est la vie. (la vie).
So, speaking of things being issued this week, my ETY teacher gave us all an assignment due today: blog about a website you love or a book you love. Seeing as I've already blogged about a website (see Shed A Little Light On The Subject) I might as well blog about my favorite book of all time. This book is one of many: it's part of the most popular book series of all time. Harry Potter. To speak of one Harry Potter is to speak of them all so I can't just pick one favorite. BUT if I had to choose it would of course be the Deathly Hallows (the last book for all those who are unwitting of the genius that is J.K. Rowling) I don't know what it is about the series that I love: the magic, the wizard battles, the suspense, the love between friends and family, the romance between Harry and Ginny and Hermione and Ron (all that sexual tension FINALLY being resolved, thank the Lord). Maybe it's that my dad started reading the series to my sister and me when I was only three years old. No wonder Harry, Hermione and Ron are old friends of mine. That's the thing about a super long series: you've been with them through thick and thin, for everything, and with a great book you feel what the characters feel, you crave justice, that the bad guys will be brought to a dramatic and everlasting end. Like in the Toy Story series. The third was long awaited but for all the people who grew up with Woody and Buzz it was like seeing old friends, waving at you as they pass by. If Toy Story 3 didn't make you cry, then you must have a really tough exterior because I wept like a baby. Same goes for Harry Potter. The final book of this amazing series was bittersweet (and the affair that started when I was just entering kindergarten will end when I'm seventeen years old when the final movie explodes into theatres this summer). I wanted to know what would happen but I will always miss my magical friends. Which might explain why I've read it over ten times (and it's a big book). I love all that is Harry Potter (I've even got a wand!) and I will continue my love for The Boy Who Lived long after the last movie has come out. All I can say is thank you, J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter was my childhood. I spent fourteen years with them and it has been one heck of a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment