Monday, February 14, 2011

Cover It Up

Covers. I love hearing new artists sing my favorite songs and put their own spin on them. A few months back I was really into MGMT and found three covers of their songs by three different people. Katy Perry, The Kooks, and Sunday Girl, whose cover is sadly not available on iTunes. If you want to hear Sunday Girl's cover of Time To Pretend look it up on Youtube. It's really good (*warning* it does say the F word, although being in high school you probably hear that word a million times a day, unfortunately). They took these electronic, hyped up songs that I love to jam to and slowed them down, made them easier to understand and gave me a new perspective on their songs. It just goes to show how every song is versatile, and really showcases the artists' talents. Speaking of talented cover-ists (?) this guy, Sam Tsui on Youtube (channel kurthugoschneider) is AWESOME! He made me like songs I didn't even like to begin with. Hold It Against Me by Britney Spears was too club-beats for me but when my friend showed me his version, I didn't even connect the two songs as the same. It is so good and just goes to show that switching up the tempo, mood, etc. can make even the most insufferable songs enjoyable. (See Just A Dream by Sam Tsui & Christina Grimmie).

No comments:

Post a Comment