Monday, February 28, 2011

Hope Makes My Head Spin

This weekend was one of the best weekends of my high school years. My family, along with three other families, journeyed 2 hours and 45 minutes north to the small town of Holland, Michigan, to watch my "older brother" play in a college basketball tournament. We went for two games, one of which was the championship against their arch-rivals. The players? Hope College vs. Calvin College. Yes, there is a college named Hope, and it is one of the coolest places ever. I got to experience dorm life a little because three of my friends/extended family members go to Hope. There are the twins, Amanda* & Jackie*, and my "older brother" Charles*. So since Hope is a christian college, my parents trusted me, and my friend Carly*, to hang out with them the whole weekend, although we did meet up at the games and when we returned to the hotel where we were staying. By the way, if you ever go to Holland, MI, make sure you stay at City Flats Hotel. It is the coolest place you will ever visit, take my word for it. And if you don't believe me, ask my friend Carly. Oh wait, that's right, you can't, you don't know her real name! Drats!
Moving on. There were four main events I experienced this weekend, two of which were the most hilarious, intense college basketball games I've ever been privileged to participate in (Yeah, it's a preposition at the end of the sentence. My mom will hate me, but who cares? This is MY blog!). The basketball games were awesome! And of course the student section, nicknamed the Dew Crew, had rituals for home games. There was a roller coaster, which all Homestead kids can appreciate, but there was also this Scoot thing that took me totally by surprise. When the leaders yell scoot, everyone sits down, grabs onto the shoulders of the person in front of them, and pulls back. Eventually the combined motion of this huge group of students will start to actually move the bleachers back and forth! My friends had no idea, even though they went to the school, because they'd never been to a home game, so we were a little taken aback. Anyway, Hope won both games and the second one was probably my favorite because it was super intense. We made 8 three-pointers the whole game! Every time a three-pointer was made, a freshman (chosen at the start of the season) had to take a cutout Mountain Dew bottle (Dew Crew, remember?) and post it on the wall behind the bleachers. First half three-pointers on one side, second half on the other. This kid had the funniest run I've ever seen. He would jump in the air, fist pump, and then kick his legs out like a country dance when he ran to the steps, shaking his head left and right. Needless to say, the games were exciting, and I'm definitely looking forward to next season.
The other experiences I had were definitely new for me. The first, a root beer float kegger, was a little scary at first because we were surrounded by older people we didn't know, and it was in this tiny "cottage" on campus, but as time went on, and food was served, we loosened up, found a place to sit and were able to mingle, getting to feel like actual college students. People kept telling us we looked like we could be freshmen in college, so we didn't feel inferior, which was a relief. And the food! Oh lordy, it was delicious. I think it was especially funny because the kid whose birthday it was turned 21 and instead of having alcohol, he had root beer. I definitely want my 21st birthday to be that fun.
The last, and probably most fun, event this weekend was Club Durf. See there's this all boys dorm called Durfee and three or four times a year they host a themed dance party. This time it was mardi gras. Everyone dressed up, wore masks, someone even dressed up in a panda suit, which doesn't really make sense, but it was entertaining. The best part is that it was exactly unlike any high school party I've ever been to/heard about. No illegal activities, no dirty dancing, no fighting, no cliques, just silly, harmless partying. I'm still sore from all the krumping I did!
It was sad leaving Hope, and now I can't wait to go back. I think I might have found the college I want to attend...? We shall definitely see!

*Names have been changed to keep their identities, and mine, a secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment