Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Multitudinous Post

I Stumbled upon this video the other day and was in complete raptures with it. I wish my doodles were as well done as this person's. I also concur with their thoughts on math and how ridiculously boring it can be (and always is). The only difference between the two of us (other than their doodlings are vastly superior than mine) is that they know infinitely more about math than I do. I'm much more of an English persons: I'm better with words than functions and unit circles. As people would say, I'm a right brained, over left-brained, person. Anyway onto the multitudinous of this post.
Friday was one of my best friend's seventeenth birthday and last night all of our friends got together for a little party. What was mainly a fun night also consisted of depressing factors, like figuring out I'm total rubbish at Apples to Apples. I didn't win a single green card, while some people had three or four. To top it all off my beloved Colts lost a close game to the New York Jets. They were SO CLOSE!! Besides those two upsetting events the party was a hit: good food, good movies, good company and a ton of karaoke sung by two friends who couldn't carry a tune to save their lives (still love you guys!). 
So. All The Pretty Horses is about a sixteen year old boy in San Angelo, Texas. When we meet John Grady Cole, his grandfather has just died and he is attending the funeral. It is further revealed that his parents are estranged and that his mother plans to sell his grandfather's ranch, the place John Grady has lived since he was born. John Grady tries to reason with his mother and persuade her not to sell the ranch, that he could run it, despite his young age, but his mother wants to sell it and chase after her dream of being an actress. John Grady goes to the family lawyer to see if there is anything more he can do to salvage the ranch, but he is turned down cold. There's nothing more he can do. To top it all off, he learns of the finalization of his parents divorce. He then hitchhikes to San Antonio to see a play his mom is starring in. 
John Grady and his father go riding for the last time in San Angelo. We then learn that John Grady and his friend Rawlins plan to run away from home. Then John Grady's talking to his ex-girlfriend (she dumped him) downtown. After that Rawlins and John Grady slip quietly away during the night, riding out on their horses. 
Okay if my description of this first 30 pages of this book seem a little lackluster, that's because I find this book to be as dull as one of those old movies my older sister likes to watch that are all in French and she can only read subtitles (no offense, Cormac McCarthy; Cait, those movies suck). The style of the novel is so ambiguous it confuses me. I never know who's talking and who they are addressing, or where they are. You don't even find out the main characters name till page 7. The narrator is pretty ambiguous too. We talked about it in class, but I'm just going to repeat that there are some narrators who will describe everything and give you every detail. The narrator of All The Pretty Horses isn't going to give away anyway. When I play it in my head I imagine the narrator is a bored teenager in AP Lit (like there's ever such a thing, right guys?) reading monotonously out loud to the class. Sorry if you like this book, it's just my opinion.

3 comments:

  1. THIS IS MY FAVVVVE BLOG BECAUSE IT'S FUNNY :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hate your blog. just kidding, i like it. it oozes sarcasm. in fact, it oozes a lot of things.. you should really get that checked out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love ViHeart. :D
    Glad to know someone else does too.

    ReplyDelete